To be the leading high school basketball brand in the country
Our mission is to foster outstanding basketball players and transform lives via our elite prep basketball platform, creating a pathway to success for our student-athletes and their families.
We’re committed to societal contribution, wealth creation, and breaking poverty cycles in our communities.
Our passion for basketball gives every athlete a pathway for success
Our vision is more than just a basketball program – we aspire to revolutionize the world of high school basketball. We aim to become an emblem of leadership and inspiration for our players and communities.
We strive to maintain excellence, seeking a future ranking among America’s top 5 and the undisputed #1 in the Northeast basketball prep and grassroots programs. With community, hard work, dedication, and a focus on our core values, we believe that together we win.
At OSL, we believe that athletic pursuit helps to build character through familial bonds. Exemplifying the truth that we are brothers and sisters in Christ, we care for one another with servant-hearts that seek to uplift and respect every person whom we meet. We believe that every opportunity in life is an opportunity to build or destroy. If we try to act selfishly, the fiber of our bonds will be slowly eroded. If we continue to grow together, we will continue to build together, witnessing the strength of working towards greatness. Of course, we also know that greatness demands excellence, so we demand excellence in every area of life from our student-athletes, setting the expectations of being living examples of high character and dedicated effort for all in our school community. In this, we recognize the need to display integrity and we challenge all in our school community to uphold this need as a part of our growth.
As we are reminded in our school’s mission, we strive to inspire academic success, cultivate holistic growth, and instill faithful Christian character in all that we do. This same mission applies to our student-athletes, knowing that our success is not measured simply by victory or loss. Instead, we continue to build one another up in love and learning. In many ways, our athletic philosophy is best stated in this way: “Life is like sports. You train, endure, suffer, and triumph. In the end, you retire. God willing, you leave an amazing history and a better place for those after you.”
Our Championships: 1982-83, 1986-87, 1987-88, 1988-89, 1992-93, 1997-98, 1999-2000, 2000-01, 2004-05, 2013-14, 2019-20
2021-22 Grind Session World Champions
For the first time in school history, the OSL National Falcons captured the Grind Session World Championship, led by the strong play of Mr. Basketball~New York – Jaquan Sanders (Seton Hall), Sadiku Ibine Ayo (Iona), and Silas Sunday (Iona).
The New York Lightning (“NYL”), a subsidiary of the Long Island Lightning Basketball organization, is one of New York City’s most successful of its kind. While many know of its participation in the high-profile Nike EYBL Circuit, the premier high school showcase league in the country, very few are aware of the broad-reaching social and educational programs it deploys to the other student-athletes that are part of the organization.
Unlike other larger-scale AAU basketball organizations, the NYL considers itself a grassroots endeavor. We do not have a board of directors composed of wealthy individuals by design. However, we do have an advisory board who assists us with decision making and strategic organizational direction. This has enabled us to maintain the control and integrity of our program, focusing on the development of young athletes with the goal of them becoming productive members of their communities. Being part of the community is central to the success of the NYL. We are very selective in every aspect of the organization – from the coaches and other professionals to the athletes and their families. We demand a lot from our athletes not only on the court but off of it as well. They are expected to contribute to their community in a positive way and study diligently in the classroom.
The NYL is different from other AAU organizations in the following ways;
- Our coaches are not paid employees. They perform their jobs in a professional manner solely for the love of the game and their desire to help young athletes to reach their personal goals.
- The NYL has been a consistently successful high-level Nike–sponsored team in the most competitive circuit in the country, the EYBL. In 2016, it has had the most athletes go to Division I institutions (32) than any other EYBL team in the last nine years. Three of this year’s top 12 top-scoring freshman have played for the Lightning. In 2016, 66 of the top 100 high school players in the country play on the EYBL circuit
- We are not just an EYBL Team. We run 8 high school, 5 middle schools as well as other non-sponsored AAU teams composed of male and female athletes.
- Lightning athletes are students first. We monitor student athletes during the school year making sure they are aware of the necessary requirements to qualify for college. The organization supplies tutoring, advisory and consulting services available to those in need.
- We are champions of diversity. Our players are not only from the Tri-State area but also from outside the United States. We are one of the few AAU organizations that actively seeks out players of diverse cultures, languages, and socio-economic environments.